Dr. Candice Seti, Psy.D.,San Diego based Clinical Psychologist and Certified Personal Trainer, is California-licensed and recognized for her expertise in applying cognitive therapy to weight loss and weight management. Her extensive knowledge of nutrition and exercise applications adds value to a weight management program.
There are three key factors that determine any weight loss program;
1) Motivation- Clients need to really want to make change and want to lose the weight. I can’t make them do anything they don’t want to do.
If your doctor tells you that you must lose weight and you are not interested in losing weight, but you go forward with any program you simply will not be effective. Personal motivation is the determining factor on success. Motivation must come from within the individual person. No outside force can create motivation within the individual.
2) Commitment- What you do is a process with the ultimate goal being lifelong weight management- something that most people have not been able to achieve with restrictive dieting. Because it is a lifestyle change program that they will maintain forever, the process is not as quick, so they need to be committed.
3) Honesty- The program only works if clients are able to be honest with their therapist and honest with themselves about their behaviors, their motivation, and their ultimate goals as well as any obstacles they’ve had towards achieving those goals.
Lifestyle changes are all about a person’s relationship with food. For instance, some people use food as an emotional crutch dealing with anxiety, loneliness, boredom, frustration, anger or whatever is currently going on in their life.
When asked if she thought Dieting or diet pills alone will work, she was quoted in a News Story Dr. Seti said “I disagree with the common belief that restrictive diets, pills, counting calories, or a combination of these is the only way to lose weight and keep it off. That type of program will not insure long-term results. People need to make attainable and sustainable lifestyle changes for success. Effective lifestyle changes as related to weight loss are all about a person’s relationship with food. That is why up-front honesty about the factors contributing to your serious interest in losing weight is so important.”
When selecting a therapist to assist you in reaching your weight loss goal, look for;
1) Education and/or Licensure or Credentialing- You definitely want to make sure that the individual has the appropriate background and training to be working with you on anything health-related
2) Trust-worthiness- You want someone that you feel safe with and someone who you feel comfortable talking with about all the areas of your life as they are all often tied to eating and weight management.
3) Empathy- You want someone who understands and can relate to your experiences in one way or another. It’s comforting to know you are not alone and that you are being assisted by someone who has undergone a similar journey.
When asked if Obesity should be labeled a disease, Dr Seti was quoted on CNN as saying “My personal perspective is that I support any view that allows people access to more services, more treatment options, more community awareness, and less stigma. When alcoholism and mental health issues, such as depression and anxiety became labeled as disease, that’s exactly what happened, so I am hopeful it will do the same for obesity.”
Dr. Seti said “I have been overweight and have lost a lot of weight and have kept it off using the same tools and principles that I teach. There is a common misconception that anybody who is not overweight has never had a problem or had to struggle with being overweight But in fact most of us have had to work at weight loss and to be successful, had to put into play life style changes in order to succeed.
Dr. Candice Seti, Psy.D. can be reached through her office at 350 10th Ave. #1023, San Diego, CA 92101, phone 619-345-4355 or her website www.meonlybetter.com
See the CNN article here http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1094959
See the Small Business Trendsetters article here http://smallbusinesstrendsetters.com/your-diet-failed-again-san-diego-dr-candice-seti-psy-d-has-the-key-to-never-dieting-again/
For more information visit Dr. Seti’s Who Is Page here in the Journal
Dr. Candice Seti Licensed Clinical Psychologist in San Diego
You may contact her at her office
350 10th Street #1023
San Diego, CA 92101
Or by telephone 619-345-4355